Sekerpare Recipe; Turkish Semolina Cookies in Syrup
This tender and moist Turkish dessert – semolina cookies in syrup is called ‘sekerpare‘, which means “a piece of sweetness.” Try some and you’ll see why it’s exactly that.
For the dough;
- 250 grams butter or margarine (softened at room temperature),
- 2½ or 3 cups of all-purpose flour (the cup size is 200 ml.).
For the syrup;
- 3 cups of granulated sugar,
- 3 cups of water (600 ml.),
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
Process of Sekerpare Recipe; Turkish Semolina Cookies in Syrup
For the tender and moist Turkish semolina cookies in syrup, first make the syrup. Combine the granulated sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over the medium heat and bring to the boil. When it boils, add the lemon juice in it and reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. And then turn the heat off and set the syrup aside to cool at the room temperature.
Prepare the dough. Put the butter/margarine in a deep bowl and add the flour gradually and knead it until you get a soft, moist dough.
Take walnut-sized pieces from the dough and roll them with the palm of your hand. Gently press down with your finger on top of each piece to make a hollow and place them into the oven tray.
Bake them in the preheated to 180°C oven until they get golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and pour cooled syrup over hot cookies. Leave to cool and let the cookies absorb the syrup; they will get soft and tender.
Serve with cream, whipped cream or ice cream. You can get 25 sekerpare cookies with these ingredients.
A few tips for a successful Sekerpare: 1. Make sure to leave enough space between each cookies on the baking tray, as they expand during baking.
2. First make the syrup, as it needs to cool down. Pour the cooled syrup over the hot cookies and let the cookies absorb the syrup as they cool. Once all the syrup absorbed, cookies will be soft and tender enough to eat with a fork.
We came to the end of the sekerpare recipe. If you liked this Turkish dessert recipe – semolina cookies in syrup recipe, then you will love our other dessert recipes.